Sunday, December 06, 2009

25 Days of Romance - Day 6

The UpSide to Being Single During the Holidays

OK, I know we are talking about 25 Days of Romance, but you can romance yourself as well. I want all the single guys and gals to realize that you can have a fun and romantic holiday, even if you are not with someone special.

No need to feel sad about being single during the holidays. In fact, you should be happy that you can do what you want, when you want!

Contrary to popular belief, couples and families do not have a copyright on holiday cheer.

What do you think are the biggest benefits of being happily single during the holidays? Besides getting to kiss anyone or everyone under the mistletoe, (a pretty big plus, anyone would have to admit) here are a few more singles-only holiday perks:


  • No arguments in the car about who said something stupid to whom at the family party.
  • Not having to wake up at some ungodly hour to open gifts and pretend I'm surprised or elated.

  • Decorating the tree in green, pink and purple bows if I feel like it... or not at all.

  • Not having to coordinate everything with a lazy husband who made us late everywhere we went, then just fell asleep on the couch wherever we were.

  • I can go shopping and completely avoid Home Depot and the golf store. Plus, I can hit every store I want without hearing the whine, "Do we have to go in here?"
  • Spending less money and anxiety on trying to find that "perfect gift." I can buy myself something instead.

  • Because I'm single, I still get as many presents from my mom as I did when I was a kid. As soon as I have kids, I'll get an ugly sweater and slippers from her, and nothing else. I know, because I've seen it happen to my older sister!

  • More time to spend with my family and friends, and less stress trying to juggle multiple families and expectations. I can spend however much I want, have dinner wherever I want and spend Christmas wherever I want, rather than spending time with people out of obligation.

  • I don't have to watch the Christmas football games. Instead I can sit down with a glass of red wine and watch the "What Not to Wear" marathon all afternoon.

  • I have more energy and time to put into doing good in the community. Last Christmas morning, I volunteered to serve food at a local restaurant that put on a huge spread for homeless people in town. It made me so grateful for everything that I have in life — which is a lot.

  • I don't need a partner to have fun!! I can satisfy myself anytime I want with whatever makes me happy!! I can buy myself a romantic gift that I like!

All in all, being single during the holidays does not have to be a lonely or depressing experience. Enjoy being single this year!

No comments: